I am 32 years old, and my permanent teeth look like baby teeth. I am looking for ways to make my small teeth look larger. Will Invisalign help? – Thank you. Alana from Texas
Thank you for your question.
Does Invisalign Help Small Teeth Look Larger?
Although Invisalign will straighten your teeth, the clear braces will not make small teeth look larger. Still, if you are an adult with small permanent teeth, cosmetic dentistry can improve tooth shape and size.
How to Make Small Teeth Look Larger
Dental bonding and porcelain veneers are two ways to make small teeth look larger. How do the options compare?
Dental bonding is a mixture of quartz or glass with dental resin.
- Process – A cosmetic dentist applies bonding directly to your teeth. But it takes an artistic dentist to layer and sculpt the bonding to look completely natural.
- Longevity – If you take good care of it, dental bonding can last two to five years before it dulls and stains.
- Cost – Although bonding can be two-thirds the cost of porcelain veneers, you will replace bonding more often.
Veneers are customized, thin shells of porcelain that snugly fit the fronts and side of your teeth.
- Process – A cosmetic dentist may need to remove a tiny amount of tooth enamel from each tooth. After taking impressions of your teeth, the dentist will make a wax model and temporary veneers for you to try on. A lab makes your final porcelain veneers, and the dentist bonds them to your teeth.
- Longevity – High-quality porcelain veneers can last ten to twenty years if you take care of them.
- Cost – A single porcelain veneer costs $1,000 – $2,500 depending on where you live in the U.S. and the dentist’s experience, quality of work, and fees.
Schedule a Consultation with a Cosmetic Dentist
Although many dentists claim to be cosmetic dentists, few have the artistic talent needed to produce high-quality, beautiful results. Look for an accredited cosmetic dentist or a dentist with post-graduate and continuing education in cosmetic dentistry.
Schedule consultations with at least two dentists before choosing a provider. Also, ask to see the dentist’s bonding and porcelain veneers patients before-and-after photos. And if you need orthodontic treatment for straighter teeth, you can also discuss how Invisalign can help.
David Finley, DDS of Monroe, Louisiana sponsors this post. Dr. Finley is an accredited Fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry.