If you want to straighten your teeth without people noticing, Invisalign makes it clear. Virtually invisible braces are used to align your teeth with precision.
How Does Invisalign Work?
A series of Invisalign aligners, made of medical-grade plastic, are customized for you. Each set of aligners is designed to precisely move your teeth to a new position.
When Is It Used?
Invisalign works for a variety of imperfections in teeth, including:
- Crowded teeth
- Open bite
What’s the Process?
- You’ll start with a consultation with Dr. Finley to discuss your goals for straighter teeth. He will examine your teeth and let you know if Invisalign will help you meet your goals.
- Dr. Finley will take photographs of your teeth and will use a handheld digital scanner to capture a 3-D image of them.
- Using Invisalign software, Dr. Finley will create a treatment plan for achieving your new smile.
- He’ll show you a virtual picture of how your new smile will look when treatment is complete.
- We will send the treatment plan, digital model, and photos to the Invisalign laboratory to craft a series of custom aligners for you.
- When your aligners are ready, you will try them on, and Dr. Finley will ensure they are comfortable and fit well around your gumline.
- You will wear the aligners home, and we’ll give you sets of aligners to last for several weeks.
- When you first put on a new set of aligners, they won’t fit well. This is by design. But in a few days, as your teeth shift to the new position, the aligners will feel like they fit. Continue wearing them for the full amount of time prescribed—usually two weeks. It gives your teeth and roots time to adjust to the new position.
- Next, you’ll switch to a new set of aligners and repeat the process until you’ve worn all of them.
- Every six to eight weeks, you’ll return to our office for a progress check.
- At the end of treatment, your smile will be beautifully aligned.
- After treatment, you will need to wear a retainer to maintain alignment and prevent your teeth from shifting back to their previous positions.
How Does Invisalign Compare with Traditional Braces?
- Metal free – Invisalign aligners don’t contain any metal. And they are virtually invisible so most people won’t notice them.
- Much more comfortable – The flexible aligners are much more comfortable than traditional braces. They won’t irritate your gums or poke your oral tissue.
- No dietary restrictions – Just take out the aligners to eat and put them back in afterward.
- More precise – The technology in Invisalign aligners moves your teeth gradually and with more precision than traditional braces.
- Faster – They are about 50% faster than traditional braces.
- Fewer checkup visits – No wire changing is required. You’ll save time because there are fewer visits to check the progress of your treatment.
- Removable – Not only can you eat what you want, but it’s easier to maintain good oral hygiene. Take them out to brush and floss normally.
How Long Will You Need to Wear Invisalign?
You will need to wear the aligners 20 to 22 hours each day. Treatment time varies depending on the position of your teeth and your smile goals. But most cases are completed in about 12 months, half the time of conventional braces.
How to Care for the Aligners
- Brush your teeth after every meal to prevent food residue from staining the aligners.
- Remove the aligners and gently brush them to keep them fresh.
- Avoid using hot water or abrasive toothpaste on your aligners.
- Use cleaning crystals, tablets, or foam to remove plaque and deodorize the aligners.
Interested in Invisible Braces?
If you’re interested in straightening your teeth with Invisalign, call our office to schedule an appointment or complete our Request an Appointment form.