At Bayou Dental Group, Dr. Finley, Dr. Coughran, and Dr. Henderson use mercury-free tooth-colored composite fillings that look natural and strengthen your teeth.
Amalgam—or silver—fillings are made of several metals, including about 50 percent mercury. The American Dental Association says amalgam fillings are safe and effective for filling cavities, and many dentists still use them. Still, many people want to limit their exposure to any materials or products that contain mercury, so they want alternatives to amalgam fillings.
At Bayou Dental Group, we haven’t placed any amalgam fillings for over 30 years. If you have a cavity that requires a filling, we will use tooth-colored composite—a blend of silica or quartz bound with resins. Dr. Finley, Dr. Coughran, or Dr. Henderson will select a shade of composite that matches your teeth.
Composite vs. Amalgam Fillings
- Preserves much more of your tooth structure—only decay will be removed
- Requires specific bonding technology, technique, and more time to place
- Bonds to your teeth and strengthens them
- Insulates your teeth with minimal to no post-operative sensitivity
- Tooth colored—people won’t notice them
- Requires removing weakened tooth structure and aggressive tooth preparation
- Easy for general dentists to place without getting extra training
- Tends to weaken the teeth and corrode
- Increases sensitivity to heat and cold because they contain metal
- Dark and noticeable on your teeth
The photos below are an example of the natural-looking results you can expect with mercury-free fillings. Old amalgam fillings were replaced with composite that matches the teeth and makes them look healthy.
Take Care of Your Mercury-Free Fillings
- Daily brush and floss to control a buildup of plaque on your teeth and fillings.
- Avoid heavy alcohol consumption. Alcohol softens the composite.
- Schedule regular dental exam and cleaning appointments to maintain good oral health and stable fillings.
Dr. Finley, Dr. Coughran, and Dr. Henderson use high-quality materials. And they are proficient with composite bonding technology and techniques. You will receive natural-looking fillings that last. If you’re interested in mercury-free dentistry, complete our Request an Appointment form or call us to schedule an appointment.