My son had an accident last month and lost three teeth. Kids are teasing him, and he is sensitive. I want him to get the implants as soon as possible. How much does it cost for a 14-year-old to get dental implants? Thanks. – Johnie from Kissimee, FL
Thank you for your question. We understand your concerns.
Can a Teenager Get Dental Implants?
Teenagers can get dental implants when jawbone growth is complete because as the jawbone grows, teeth move, but dental implants do not. The presence of an implant during development may interfere with jawbone growth or the movement of your son’s teeth.
The National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery published an article on dental implants in children. The article cites reasons that completion of jawbone growth promotes healthy dental implants in children:
- Development of the upper and lower jaws is multidirectional.
- Growth is not paced but occurs in phases of slowness followed by acceleration.
- Teeth maintain their position by following the pace of jawbone growth.
- Age does not determine when jawbone growth stops.
- Comparing a series of X-rays helps determine when jawbone growth is complete.
- A pediatric dentist, orthodontist, and implant dentist must collaborate on the child’s treatment plan.
At age 14, your son is still growing.
What Are the Alternatives to a Dental Implant for a Young Teen?
When a child’s jawbone growth is not complete, alternatives to a dental implant are a partial denture or a dental bridge. A skilled cosmetic dentist can provide a replacement tooth that blends with your son’s natural teeth so well that people won’t notice the difference.
Schedule a consultation with an advanced cosmetic dentist to discuss treatment options. Explain your concerns to the dentist and that you may want to consider dental implants in the future after your son’s jawbone fully develops.
David Finley, DDS, a Monroe, Louisiana, accredited cosmetic dentist and Academy of General Dentistry Fellow, sponsors this post. Read about what Dr. Finley, Dr. Thompson, and Dr. Coughran do to provide some of the best dental care in Monroe.